Wednesday 30 January 2013


Jade Dolby

I graduated in 2012 from the University of Wales, Newport with a degree in Photographic Art, now I happily snap away when I can amongst other creative ventures. Photography is a passion that entered my life by chance in 2005 when I chose what A-levels to study at college. Once I had chosen my other subjects there was one slot left to be filled and after flicking through the prospectus again and again I chose photography simply because we already had a camera sitting on the shelf. Since then I’ve been hooked! 


Life events and my strange draw towards natural light are my main inspirations for my works. I very rarely edit any images and force any lighting but document the subject as I find it. Recently I have been experimenting with the awkward tensions and varying emotions that life can generate and aim to reflect it in my photographs.  I try this by moving, placing and creating delicate structures with objects and places, teasing them into new arrangements but never far from their found place. I can’t see myself abandoning my camera’s anytime soon! 

Series of images from 'Dislocate'

'Dislocate' is a series of still images produced in response to having spent years watching my mother and stepfather move an entire working farm to various locations within Britain. As humans we instinctively make ourselves a homing point, somewhere to retreat too and form a bond with. What happens when that possibility is stripped away time and time again? Using objects relating to laying claim to a space in order for it to be considered a home, the photographs become a reflection on emotions involved in a desperate need to settle created by the transitory effect of constant unsettled boundaries. Having been stung by disloyalty a cruel amount of times, can the struggle of misplaced trust ever be successfully overcome? 


All text and images copyright of Jade Dolby